Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris



Having read David Sedaris' other books, I can say that this one is a little more mellow and poignant.  This book has a softer edge to it; as though he's looking back and reconsidering things with more compassion. There are definitely humorous parts: fun sentences like, "If owls were the professors of the avian kingdom, then kookaburras, I thought, might well be the gym teachers." Or, "Does there come a day in every man's life when he looks around and says to himself, 'I've got to weed out some of these owls?' I can't be alone in this, can I?" There's still passages which are pure Sedaris: conversations overheard at the airport, a visit to the taxidermist, awkward shopping with his brother-in-law, and his obsession with picking up "rubbish" in his adopted country of England.
Between the memoir-based essays are ones written from the viewpoint of fictional characters. Though interesting, these don't work as well for me (maybe because the "real" essays have that nuance of compassion). Overall, it was worthwhile: a quick and fun journey with Mr. Sedaris.

No comments:

Post a Comment