Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned From Judy Blume

Growing up, Judy Blume was one of my favorite authors and one who accompanied me, physically and emotionally, as I passed through adolescence: I learned about having a period from Margaret, commiserated with Peter about the problems of spoiled, destructive younger brothers, and cried with Davey after her father's death. So, I was attracted to this collection of essays from authors (they are mainly YA or chick-lit writers) who also grew up with Judy Blume from the time I first saw it reviewed. It didn't disappoint. The essays discuss the impacts of Blume's works on everything from their developing sexuality to their perspectives on intrafamily conflict to how they handled a parental divorce. Though the essays focus on only a few of Blume's books (including Deenie, Are You There God . . . , and Forever), they are sure to touch and evoke flowing memories from anyone who considered themselves a fan. --Inanna

No comments:

Post a Comment