Thursday, February 01, 2007

"The Dance of the Dissident Daughter" by Sue Monk Kidd

When I came across this book sitting at the tech services workstation, the subtitle, “A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine,” intrigued me. After all, I'd been there, done that. Reading the book, I tried to be wowed, I really did. Then I tried to just like it. That didn't happen either. Though Kidd's story is certainly interesting and heartfelt, I didn't get any sense of passion from her. For instance, occasionally she talks about her anger in certain situations, but the emotion just doesn't convey to the reader. The writing, to me, was insipid; Kidd got her publishing start in writing “Christian motivation” books, and it shows. I don't mean that in a good way. There are memoirs out there covering this same ground that are so much more well written and more captivating. (Phyllis Curott's first book comes to mind.) I'd recommend that readers find one of those. -- Inanna

1 comment:

  1. while I haven't read this particular book, I found the same to be true of her novel "The Mermaid's Chair". It was a terrible disappointment after "The Secret Life of Bees". Another suggestion for good writing on this subject is any of Anne LaMotte's memoirs...she's fierce, devout and very very funny!

    ReplyDelete