Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Not everything you read needs to enrich your mind...

I've never read Moby Dick. I've been meaning to, and I even want to but I just can't seem to get there. But recently I had a complete weekend free (including most of Friday afternoon!) and the weather report said three days of rain---the perfect opporutunity, right? Well, not so much. Turns out that when you're totally burnt out from the holidays, Moby Dick just isn't gonna do it. Some books that will? Instyle: Instant Fashion is a great book for the sartorially challenged or for those who want a refresher and don't know where to start. The book has a layout very similar to the magazine(to which I am addicted) and an easy reading style. It includes checklists of seasonal "basics" and a workbook for those who really need help.
Also during my weekend of mindless reading I turned to Allure: Confessions of a Beauty Editor by Linda Wells and the editorial staff at Allure magazine. It is fabulous. I'm not ashamed to say that I photocopied a page about eyeliner. Maybe with clearly written instructions I will stop poking myself in the eye. Lastly, (why break a streak?) I read What would Jackie Do? by Shelly Branch and Sue Callaway. The authors extrapolate the lessons learned from the most stylish woman ever into everyday situations. It's a cute read; the sort of book you buy your girlfriend as a semi-joke. I emerged from my weekend of fluff refreshed and ready to take on more serious reading..though maybe not Moby Dick just yet. -Rhiannon

No comments:

Post a Comment